Friday, August 13, 2010

Ween Mach II: Scoping the Lobe with the Shit Creek Boys


By the time Ween came back to town a year later, I had become a big fan. I had picked up much of their catalogue to date in that first year, and even got the latest recording, their classic Country Album. And with all that excitement and harping about them to friends, I could still find no one who wanted to go. I decided that since I had seen them last year, I could skip the show this time around.

CFNY, a Toronto radio station, at the time interviewed many alt bands, and I found out that Ween were stopping by their studio before the show. Since I was not going to the show, it seemed like a good alternative to see them at this interview for free. I headed for the CFNY studio on Yonge Street.

I was there with about 10 other fans... one group brought Lasagna in answer to Ween's request for hot meals from the back of Pure Guava. I brought my copy of The Pod to get it signed. And they were great about it... not only did they sign my CD (puzzling, since Gene dated his signature "97" even though it was October 1996), but they gave me a pair of free tickets to the show. Since I had no one to take the second ticket, I had Deaner sign it so that I could at least give this bit of memorabilia to my friend Craig.

After Ween left, I ran over to the Phoenix as quick as I could. I managed to get a good spot about 3 rows in. The red curtains were closed, but a fan in the front row pulled the curtain aside to peak in. "Can you see anything?", it was all I could do to get out the words "Yes, wonderful things".
The back stage was flooded with smoke... it was a thick haze. In front, Gene sat on a bench, looking really messed up. He held his head in his hands. Other members of the band milled around, and bottles of Jack Daniels could be seen everywhere.

They started the show without Gene, but he joined in shortly after and did not seem too set upon. The show was nicely spaced with country numbers and their classics. The Shit Creek Boys was a solid backing band.


Years later I found out that they recorded this concert for their Live in Toronto show. The actual show was about twice as long as what made it to the album. I wish they had included "Vallejo" on the disk... this song was a 20 minute salute to chest medallions and wine. And this version had some really messed up chanting. They did put their cover of "Piano Man" on it – possibly the brownest song ever recorded.


This show went on to be referenced often, and I can boast that I saw that show and met the band that night.

1 comment:

  1. Come on, it's a beautiful night for a walk on the beach, wouldn't you say?
    Yes, I would say that, I would say that

    Let me start of with a basket of chips
    Then move on to the pollo asado taco
    I would like two pollo asado tacos with one beef chimichanga
    On the chimichanga, I would like a side of sour cream
    I would like tomatoes and onions on my quesodilla
    For dessert I would like the flares -- I would like extra cinnamon
    Do you make guacamole?
    Yes, I do make guacamole.
    Uh, I would like a side of guacamole on my Tostitos
    I like to dip the Tostitos in the guacamole
    Can I get a basket, I told you about a basket of chips
    I would like a large iced-tea, 2, uh, 2 large iced-teas

    Ok, that'll be $16.07
    Out of $20? Ok, $16.07's your change.

    Hi, can I help you?
    I would like a basket of chips,
    A beef chimichanga with a side of sour cream
    I would like some guacamole on my chimichanga
    With a quesodilla of tomato, onion, and vegetables
    I should like a burrito with beans, beef, and
    I would like a carne asado taco
    Could you put some hot sauce on that for me?
    No, inside the taco, not on the side
    Yes, can I have a carne asado taco?
    Not a pollo asado, we don't have chicken
    Do you have guacamole?
    Can you make me some guacamole?
    I have guacamole
    Ok, on my burrito I would like the muchaco beef and the shredded pork
    And some more cheese, please

    Ok, that'll be $22...
    Uh, oh yes, I would like two lemonades and one medium iced-tea
    Ok, that'll be $20.07
    Out of $22? Ok, $1.52's your change
    Thanks a lot -- your food will be up -- here, let me get your drinks

    Hi, can I help you? Yes, I would like a basket of chips
    I would like a beef chimi...
    Umm, what is, what is the, what is the, what is the pollo asado?
    That's the chicken
    Ok, what is the carne asado?
    That's the beef
    Ok, let me get two carne asado tacos..

    ReplyDelete